World Nomads is a travel insurer and adventurous lifestyle brand. We don’t write about restaurants or hotel reviews, we talk about experiences, making connections with local people and culture, and want to ignite a sense of curiosity about travel in our readers.
We’re looking for professional travel writers who have a unique story to tell about the destinations listed below, and who can write in the first-person about their experiences.
These articles will be featured in the World Nomads’ Explore section, where we inspire our readers with articles about destinations and travel experiences, so they can plan and execute their own adventures.
We want you to send us a pitch, outlining the places you want to write about – tell us where you went, what you did, what you learnt, and what is different about what you’re suggesting.
We don’t want listicles, we want to go deeper than that. We’re looking for destinations that nobody else is going to – not the ‘Top 5 Places to Go in X’.
If your pitch ignites our curiosity, we’ll be in touch.
Payment: US $0.50 per word. Payment for photos will be discussed separately.
Deadlines: See each individual brief for dates.
Tips for successful applicants:
– We’re looking for professional travel writers, not budding bloggers. Please attach examples of your work written in the first-person.
– The final article will be written in US English, using a first-person narrative style, with a present/active tense. Trip notes will be required for each article which offers additional information.
– In the first instance, do not send your article to us, send us a simple pitch.
– A formal brief will be emailed through to you upon acceptance to write for World Nomads.
– Read our Responsible Travel manifesto and Editorial Style Guide. Get to know World Nomads before you write for us – become familiar with our guides, listen to our podcasts, and don’t forget you’re writing for a Travel Insurance company.
The Stans (no deadline)
Ideas: have you been to Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan or Kazakhstan? Pitch us your best experiences – we want to hear about places you can’t read about in the guides.
We want stories that match these topics: culture, adventure, festivals, camping, local connections, food and history.
Portugal (pitch ideas by February 5th, 2019)
Rwanda (pitch ideas by February 19th)
Malta (pitch ideas by March 5th, 2019)
Zambia (pitch ideas by April 2nd, 2019)
Bhutan (pitch ideas by April 16th, 2019)
Tonga (pitch ideas by May 7th, 2019)
Namibia (pitch ideas by May 21st, 2019)
Before you apply:
The purpose of World Nomads’ Explore section is to tell the reader about your experience in a particular place. We want you to take us on a journey with you, weaving in details of your trip and the place. Our articles should all be written in first-person, from your perspective. We’re looking for a sense that you’ve really explored these places, found some real hidden gems, or really tried to understand the culture.
All Explore articles must end with a series of Trip Notes, which features additional information the reader needs to plan their own trip (or a similar one) and experience the place for themselves.
The Stories section, however, is about the emotion of travel, telling the reader how a place or activity moved you. If you think your article might be a better fit for Stories, pitch your article here.